The version 1.6 of my File Logging plugin for Selenium IDE is now available on the Firefox addons site.Â If you have the older version, Firefox shouldÂ prompt you to upgrade. This version brings a bunch of user experience improvements and some internal improvements. The current settings are also saved and will be retained if you start the Selenium IDE or Firefox. I hope you like it.
Mini user guide for the plugin
- Set the log file name and the log level from the Options dialog (FileLogging tab) of the Selenium IDE.
- You can open the FileLogging tab of the Options dialog directly by selecting the Show options menu item from the FileLogging menu on the Log pane in Selenium IDE.
- You can also set the log level for the log file directly from the FileLogging menu on the Log pane.
- Set the log file name empty to stop writing to the log file.
- The FileLogging menu on the Log pane will also show if FileLogging is on.
- An overwrite prompt is incorrectly shown when choosing an existing file as the log file. Log files are never overwritten and will always be appended to. So you can safely ignore the prompt and select yes.
To use this plugin, you will need to install Selenium IDE addon of at least version 1.0.4 first.
I found developing this version quite interesting and satisfying. Some of the interesting things include showing the options dialog with a specific tab already selected, also figuring out how to (ab)use the existing Preferences code in Selenium IDE to manage the options for the Plugin. The next version will move away from this preferences code (which is on my technical debt) into something I hope will be the backbone of common preference management to all Selenium IDE Plugins.
I have been making some notes about these items and I plan to make a series of posts about them in the future. Check back if you are interested.