The Highlight Elements plugin for Selenium IDE is now available on the Firefox addons site.
This plugin for Selenium-IDE highlights elements specified in the Selenese commands on the web page as the test case is executed. Once this plugin is installed, a highlight elements button will be available on the Selenium-IDE main window and Sidebar. See the screen shot for details.
This plugin is very useful in debugging selenium test cases, maintaining selenium test cases and giving demos to stakeholders too. See the post Exploratory Maintenance and Debugging of Selenium Tests.
Mini user guide for the plugin
- Click the Highlight elements button on the Selenium IDE to turn on element highlighting.
- For best effect, reduce the execution speed using the slider.
- Click the Highlight elements button on the Selenium IDE again to turn off the element highlighting.
To use this plugin, you will need to install Selenium IDE addon of at least version 1.0.4 first.
- Saving / loading status of the button
- Refactoring for reducing technical debt
- Some types of elements cannot be highlighted.
I had wanted this simple but very useful feature in Selenium IDE for a long time. I had a lot of fun developing this plugin. Some of the interesting things this time include creating a separate reusable module to provide plugin registration and cleanup, and a new (for me), cleaner, more readable and reusable approach to overriding methods.