Capturing a screen shot on error or failure is a useful ability that has been available to Selenium users via programming languages. Selenium IDE users did not have an easy option so far. My Screenshot on Fail plugin for Selenium IDE makes this available as a single click feature. When the screen shot on fail plugin is enabled, this plugin will automatically grab a screen shot of the complete web page at the point of test failure. The screen shots are captured for the entire web page and give you an opportunity to review the exact state of the web page when the failures occurred. I have uploaded it to the Mozilla Addons website, but the approval process to make it public usually takes a while. The good news is that you can grab it right now from the addons page.
Once you install the plugin, a Screenshot on Fail tool button will be available on the Selenium IDE toolbar. See the screen shot.
Mini user guide for the plugin
- Click on the Screenshot on Fail tool button to turn on capturing screen shots on failure.
- Run your test case or test suite to capture page coverage.
- Click on the small arrow next to the Screenshot on Fail icon and then click View failure report menu item to open the failure report.
- This should open all the failure reports or the latest one if you have just executed a test case or test suite.
- Click on the Screenshot on Fail tool button again to turn off page coverage.
- A few improvements are in the works, including highlighting the failing element in case it exists.
To use this plugin, you will need to install Selenium IDE extension of at least version 1.0.4 first.
This core of this plugin was developed along with my Power Debugger plugin a long time ago. It was not released so far as the management of the failure reports was pending. The report management was developed last year during my holidays for the Page Coverage plugin. I just merged it together and made a few improvements to finish this plugin. I hope you find it useful.
As usual feel free to leave comments, improvements, advise, criticism, problems…